Friday, January 07, 2005

Friday mailbag!!!

Since I'm too tired to write anything original, I'm taking this as an opportunity to start a new feature. Here at The Longest Mile, people are occasionally compelled to send us messages of inspiration, persperation, desperation, or just plain ridicule. Every Friday, I'll try to run some of the best.

Here they are:

From: Bob
Date: Friday, December 31, 2004 3:11 pm
To: jsegal@montereyherald.com, kottmar@montereyherald.com

Subject:  Marathon

Ken and Jon,
Thanks for the good laugh and making me feel good, its a cold rainy and
snowy day here in Ohio and I needed the mood lift.  You guys can't be
serious about the marathon, it is a joke, maybe the 5k???
I'm was a middle of the pack  runner, started running when I quit
smoking in 1982, when I was 40.  I'm 62 now and have emphasema, but can
still run 12 minute miles.
If your at all serious, you guys better lose about 50 lbs (each), plus
plan on Marathon day being the most pain full day of your life.

Good Luck and Thanks for the smiles.

Bob

Ed: Thanks Bob!


From: Stuart

Date: Monday, December 13, 2004 10:57 am
Subject: OK Marathon Men

Well all right MEN.
I can tell you that at 6’0” 235 lbs. I have run – OK jogged – OK jogged/walked 5 – count em FIVE marathons.
You are my tribe men – the tribe who pulls over for a cheeseburger long about mile 13. Not really.
Two Marine Corps (tremendous)
Two Country Music (Nashville – little hilly)
Rock n Roll (San Diego – last June)
Finished the Rock n Roll at about 6:30 – that’s thirty minutes longer than an 81-year old from my town of Charlotte, NC.
The way I look at it – I can stay on my feet more than twice as long as the Kenyans!
It’s about persistence and endurance baby! PERSEVERE!

Stuart
Charlotte, NC


Ed: See ya at Mickey D's!!!

From: XXXXX@pacbell.net
Date: Thursday, December 30, 2004 5:48 pm

Subject: thanks for the weblog

Hey, you guys inspire me and many others for sure.
The weblog is an absolute blast to read. Thanks for dreaming this thing up and sharing your experiences.
I assure you that you guys will be able to finish the BSIM. This is based on your training weblogs to date. Get in a few more long runs and you'll finish. Keep the training program mostly intact from here on out and you'll surprise yourselves!
Keep positive. Or as an alternative, think of an extremely uncomforable, hypothetical  situation that you could possibly dream worse than plodding away on a rainy, wind-swept training run.
You've picked the perfect marathon to complete.
I'm absolutely obsessed with this race and will be participating in my fourth. A neighbor of mine pushes around 230 lbs and he got me running back in 2000.  He still manages to complete Big Sur every couple of years plus another 'thon here and there.
Come race day, enjoy it.
Mike,
San Mateo, CA

Hey guys, keep the love and hate flowing. Email me at jsegal@montereyherald.com.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?